Henry is an 83-year old master baker. I met him at the 400 Market in Innisfil, just south of Barrie, where he was in charge at the strudel stand.
He really stood out from the other vendors with his bakers uniform, and spoke with a glint in his eyes in a thick German/Austrian accent. Henry used to have four different bakeries around the world (including one of my favorites, a Danish pastry shop in Toronto), but now spends most of his time north of the city. He doesn’t do much baking anymore, but sure is a great salesman! He sold me two strudels (apple and blueberry), and on top of that gave me a free homemade rye bread. What a sweet man!
The lighting in the indoor market wasn’t very good, and I didn’t anticipate taking any portraits that day. In addition, I was trying out a new (old) manual lens, a Minolta Rokkor 55mm/1.7 on my XPro-1. I’m still trying to get the hang of manual focus on the Fuji, so the photo is not as sharp as I’d like it to be. But I like the character of this lens – it’s very different from my usual portrait XF60mm. I shot this one wide open at 1.7.
An old-school lens for a classy gentleman! Perfect.
This picture is #13 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at the 100 Strangers Flickr Group page.
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 1/100 Debbie
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 2/100 Georgia
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 3/100 Henry
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 4/100 Dennis
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 5/100 Police Officer
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 6/100 Ryan
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 7/100 Irfam
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 8/100 Krystal
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 9/100 Chris
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 10/100 Jill
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 11/100 Dawn
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 12/100 Frits
- Flickr 100 Strangers – 14/100 Suwa-San